Wednesday 31 October 2012

My Top Halloween pics

A 31st October ritual for me involves watching a horror movie or two. I'm often asked what my favourite horror film is & the truth is there are many. Horror is such a broad & complex genre, I love so many horror movies all for different reasons.

That said, I would love to know what your favourite horror film is so feel free to leave a comment & let me know...

Tonight I'll be watching a Japanese horror film called 'House' (1977) for the first time.

But first in this blog special edition, I thought I would share with you some of my Favourites...

This list is presented in alphabetical order:

* The Beast with 5 Fingers (1945) - good Warner Bros horror film from Thr 1940s with the great Peter Lorre

* Carrie - the original & best... My fave Stephen King story & great performances by Sissy Spacek & Piper Laurie. Brilliant Brian De Palma film

* 'Childs Play' (franchise) - the movie that proves how frightening a child's toy can be when brought to life. As Chucky says "Don't f..k with the Chuck!"

* Deep Red (1975) - Dario Argentino directs one of his best & goriest films

* 'The Evil Dead' (franchise) - if watching 5 teenagers chop each other to bits is your cup of tea, this is the film for you

* The Exorcist (1973) - Linda Blair possessed by the devil... We all know this one

* Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) - director Roman Polanski brings the right mix of horror & humor as 2 vampire hunters attempt to destroy a family of vampires. This film features the gorgeous Sharon Tate, who was murdered shortly after the film was completed by Charles Manson

* 'Friday the 13th' (franchise) - Jason Vorhees, the ultimate indestructible killing machine (& my fave movie villain). My personal fave film in the series is Part 3

* Halloween (1978) - Michael Myers stalking Jamie Lee Curtis in a house for nearly 90 mins, and still entertaining. Extremely well made for a semi-amateur film & I love the theme music

* House of Wax (both versions) - Vincent Price at his best in the original... Paris Hilton dies in the remake, what more could you want?

* Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (1963) - the best way to describe this film is a horror version of Gone With the Wind. Bette Davis & Olivia de Havilland are both fantastic & Mary Astor gives us something special in her final film performance

* Lady in a Cage (1964) - Olivia de Havilland is terrorized in her own home after being trapped in an elevator in her home

* Mark of the Vampire (1932) - not very scary but we get to see Bela Lugosi play a vampire... Yes please!! Good twist in the end

* 'Nightmare on Elm Street' (franchise) - Freddy Krueger... Enough said!

* Peeping Tom (1960) - a wonderful British thriller I discovered when studying film at uni. Sadly very underrated today.

* 'Piranha' (franchise) - The original films are fun, but I prefer the remake which I think I've watched at least 5 times this year.

* Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock killing his heroine & star halfway through the film was a brave move & he got away with it. The film that will make you scared to take a shower.

* The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) - an excellent film adaptation of the Isvar Wilde novel (my fave fiction book too). I watch this film often & enjoy it more & more each time. A film anyone can relate to. I mean who hasn't wished they would stay young forever. Look out for a young Angela Lansbury in this one.

* Poltergeist (1982) - a film which deserved better at the Oscar awards, sadly not winning anything. Zelda Rubinstein saying "Step into the light, Carol Anne" will be with you forever

* Prom Night (1979) - Jamie Lee Curtis in an early film role. Watchable & enjoyable

* Rosemary's Baby (1968) - my favourite demon spawn film stars Mia Farrow & directed by Roman Polanski

* Scream (franchise) - Wes Craven's greatest success (in my opinion)

* The Shining (1980) - Brilliant performance by Jack Nicholson in one of Stanley Kubrick's greatest films... "Heerrrree's Johnny!!"

* Suspiria (1977) - Dario Argento's masterpiece in my opinion

* Theatre of Blood (1973) - clever Vincent Price horror offering about a Shakespearean actor gaining revenge in his critics

* Whatever Happened ti Baby Jane (1962) - very grey area as to whether this is really a horror film, but it is fun to see Bette Davis terrorise Joan Crawford


And now it's time for the movie to begin...






No comments:

Post a Comment