"I think I'm going to scream!... I'm sure I'm going to scream!... *SCREAM*"
It's Love I'm After is a 1937 screwball comedy, directed by Archie Mayo, and starring Bette Davis, Leslie Howard and Olivia de Havilland. The supporting cast features Eric Blore, Patric Knowles, Spring Byington, Bonita Granville and George Barbier.
|Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland|
as Basil, Joyce and Marcia
Romantic complications arise when Basil meets starstruck heiress Marcia West, who has developed a strong, yet obsessive crush on him. Marcia's fiancee Henry Grant (played by Patric Knowles) enlists Basil, accompanied by his trusty butler Digges (played by Blore), to behave badly around Marcia, with the hope this will end her infatuation. As a result, Joyce (unaware of the charade) begins to display her jealously.
Did you know...
|The film's title card|
- This was the third time Davis and Howard were paired in a film - they had previously appeared together in 'Of Human Bondage' and 'The Petrified Forest'
- Bette Davis had initially declined the role of Joyce Arden, preferring to play Marcia West
- Other actresses initially considered for the role of Joyce Arden include Gertrude Lawrence and Ina Claire
- Bette Davis appears wearing the same checked-dress for the entire second half of the film
- The screenplay was originally titled 'Gentleman After Midnight'