'Anything Goes' is a 1954 episode of the Colgatte Comedy Hour, starring Ethel Merman, Frank Sinatra, Bert Lahr and Sheree North with Arthur Gould-Porter. Produced by Jule Styne, the TV special is an abridged version of Cole Porter's classic musical comedy.
Reno Sweeney (played by Merman) is on her way from America to England to marry Sir. Evelyn Oakleigh (played by Gould-Porter). Reno's ex-boyfriend Harry Dane (played by Sinatra) follows her on the boat. Also on the boat is public enemy #1, Moonface Martin (played by Lahr) and his friend Bonnie LeTour (played by North).
- "Anything Goes" - Ethel Merman
- "You Do Something To Me" - Frank Sinatra & Ethel Merman
- "Anything Goes (Reprise)" - Ethel Merman
- "I Get A Kick Out of You" - Ethel Merman
- "I Get A Kick Out of You (Reprise)" - Frank Sinatra
- "Just One of Those Things" - Frank Sinatra & Ethel Merman
- "Blow, Gabriel, Blow" - Ethel Merman
- "All Through the Night" - Frank Sinatra
- "Friendship" - Ethel Merman & Bert Lahr
- "I Get A Kick Out Of You (Reprise #2) - Ethel Merman & Frank Sinatra
- "Anything Goes (Reprise #2)" - Cast
- Encore: "Anything Goes" - Ethel Merman, Frank Sinatra & Bert Lahr
Did you know...
- Ethel Merman originated the role of Reno Sweeney on Broadway more than 20 years earlier
Watch the full TV special:
Closing remarks'Anything Goes' is a good TV special with memorable and well-known Cole Porter songs, designed to showcase the talents of Ethel Merman and Frank Sinatra. The plot is very thin, and a little different to the Broadway show. Some of the character names are different, and many of the songs are removed.
The musical 'Anything Goes' is very special to me, as I played Lord Evelyn Oakleigh in a production when I was in high school.
Not as enjoyable and showstopping as the Broadway show but still worth watching.